If the money owed to you is $25,000 or less, you can file a small claim and pay the related fee online.

The Small Claims Court hears disputes on a wide range of matters

  • contracts for goods and services
  • debt collection
  • damage to real and personal property
  • Landlord/Tenant disputes (rent arrears, failure to return security deposit, destruction of rental property);
  • professional malpractice and negligence
  • tort actions (wrongful acts that result in damages or injury)
  • consumer issues
  • N.S.F. cheque
  • unpaid invoice/accounts for goods or services sold and delivered
  • promissory note
  • breach of warranty (claim that an item purchased does not work the way it is supposed to work)
  • service rendered

Suing for more than $25,000

If you want to sue for more than $25,000, you must take your case to the Superior Court of Justice (“civil court”)